Photos from Cambridge school belies Meghan’s claim that son Archie, who attended school in Britain, would be swallowed up by photographers
- Meghan said her son could not attend British schools because of the intrusive press
- But the editor’s code prohibits the press from interfering with children’s education
- Will and Kate have been able to run the school regularly without any problems
The tightly controlled photo opportunity to mark the Cambridge children’s first day at school yesterday was in stark contrast to the absurd claims Meghan made last week.
The Duchess of Sussex told The Cut magazine that if her son Archie goes to school in the UK she will ‘never be able’ to drop him or pick him up without a press pen of 40 people ‘royal photo-call’ ‘Snapping pictures’.
The Editors’ Code in the UK has strict rules to ensure that children are free to complete their time at school without unnecessary intrusions.
The royal families are no different, meaning William and Kate have been able to run school regularly since George was two years old without a single photo of their children published in this country.
But the couple also understands that the British public has a genuine and good interest in their family.
To balance this with his desire for privacy, he has chosen to either release his own photos of the milestone or allow a small media group to capture the moments.
Prince Harry, Duke of Cambridge and Meghan, Duchess of Cambridge arrive at the Invictus Games Düsseldorf 2023 – a one-year event to be held on September 06, 2022
Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, accompanied by their parents the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, are greeted by Headmaster Jonathan Perry, as they arrive in the afternoon to settle at Lambrooke School near Ascot in Berkshire.
Yesterday only three people were present – a photographer, a TV cameraman and a print journalist.
Mobile phones were not allowed in order not to disturb the children.
The photo opportunity lasted less than two minutes.
The aide said William and Kate ‘appreciated’ the ongoing care by the British press about their family’s privacy.
The small group was accompanied by a single Kensington Palace press officer, who coordinated with the Duke, Duchess and the school.
About a half-dozen security officers were carefully dressed, and no other members of the media were allowed to be present to keep the afternoon calm and at ease for the bewildered little royals.
The media group stood a short and respectable distance away, watching the Cambridge family walk up the stairs of the school.
He was immediately banished as soon as he entered the school.
Settling in the afternoon is an annual event held to welcome new starters and their families to Lambrooke and takes place the day before the start of the new school term (before the new school term to Kate and Will). pictured with children)
Yesterday the family drove by car to their new Windsor home, Adelaide Cottage, minutes from Frogmore Cottage, where Harry and Meghan are currently staying while engaged in the UK and Germany.
Although both families are at least at home on the Queen’s Berkshire estate, the depths of the estrangement are such that there are no plans for them to meet.
William feels deeply betrayed by his brother and feels it won’t be safe to make contact with him until his money-spinning memoir and Netflix documentary come out.
It emerged yesterday that although they took off from California on a scheduled commercial flight and took a train to Manchester on Monday, the Sussexes borrowed a £45 million German taxpayer-owned Luftwaffe jet to take them to and from Düsseldorf.
German Air Force aircraft were sent to RAF Northolt to pick up the pair, before returning later in the day and then flying back to Cologne.