Last year, Blumhouse announced the feature directorial debut by John Logan (“Penny Dreadful”), starring Kevin Bacon and set to debut on Peacock. The streaming service has officially set the premiere date for They / Themand released a first look at the conversion camp slasher.
They / Them, pronounced “They-slash-Them,” is “a slasher horror film set at an LGBTQIA + conversion camp starring Bacon as Owen Whistler. Several queer and trans campers join Whistler for a week of programming intended to ‘help them find a new sense of freedom.’
“As the camp’s methods become increasingly more psychologically unsettling, the campers must work together to protect themselves. When a mysterious killer starts claiming victims, things get even more dangerous. “
Formerly titled Whistler Campthe slasher will debut on Peacock on Friday, August 5.
“They / Them has been germinating within me my whole life. I’ve loved horror movies as long as I can remember, I think because monsters represent ‘the other’ and as gay kid I felt a powerful sense of kinship with those characters who were different, outlawed, or forbidden, ”said the writer and director. , John Logan. “I wanted to make a movie that celebrates queerness, with characters that I never saw when I was growing up. When people walk away from the movie, I hope they’re going to remember the incredible love that these kids have for each other and how that love needs to be protected and celebrated. ”
The cast includes:
- Kevin Bacon (he / him) plays Owen Whistler, The conversion camp director who runs Whistler Camp alongside several counselors including his wife, Cora.
- Anna Chlumsky (she / her) plays Mollythe camp’s medic and newest employee.
- Carrie Preston (she / her) plays Cora Whistlera licensed therapist in charge of the campers’ therapy sessions, and the wife of camp director Owen Whistler.
Theo Germaine (they / them) plays Jor
dana transgender and non-binary camper from a religious background who has made a deal with their parents to legally emancipate if attending Whistler doesn’t “work.”
- Quei Tann (she / her) plays Alexandraa transgender woman whose parents have threatened to kick her out of the house if she didn’t attend the camp.
- Austin Crute (he / him) plays Tobya gay camper who negotiated with his parents for a trip to New York in exchange for a week at Whistler Camp.
- Monique Kim (she / her) plays Veronicaa bisexual camper who wants to stop fighting who she really is.
- Anna Lore (she / her) plays Kima closeted lesbian camper who puts on a perfectly crafted front for her family and friends, assuming that when she fits in, she’ll finally be loved.
- Cooper Koch (he / him) plays Stua jock with aspirations of a swim scholarship and joining his father’s fraternity – things he doesn’t feel he can achieve if he’s open about being gay.
- Darwin del Fabro (he / him) plays Gabriela sensitive gay camper tired of the persistent name-calling and bullying he’s endured his entire life.
Scott Turner Schofield (Euphoria; The Craft: Legacy), Howie Young (Mission: Impossible III, Hit and Run), and Jon Romano (Firestarter (2022), Vengeance) also serve as executive producers. Jason Blum (Get Out, The Invisible Man) and Michael Aguilar (Penny Dreadful, Kidding) are producers.